I few weeks ago one of my sons was invited to the movie theater for a birthday party to see Despicable Me 2. We don't see many movies in the theater (it's expensive with 4 boys) but this movie we all wanted to see. Since one was already going to be there we figured we'd go too. Of course I had to make a 'despicable' birthday card. We hadn't yet seen the movie but my boys knew that there were some color changing minions (thanks to their yogurt) and said that I should make a color changing minion card. Always up for a challenge here is what I came up with.
When I first thought about a color change card I immediately thought of vellum and a secret panel. To make that secret panel I knew I would need to use my Gypsy. If you are not familiar with the Gypsy it is a tool to use with your Cricut. It allows you to weld shapes from different cartridges and makes planning your projects a ton easier. If you have a Cricut I would highly recommend getting a Gypsy. I used the George and Basic Shapes cartridge and my Gypsy to make some minion shapes and 'overalls'.
I first assembled the yellow minions and by using the holes in the front of the card as a guide, glued them inside the card. The bottom layer of the overalls is just a piece of the blue paper trimmed to match the shape of the minions. The top layer of the overalls is the piece I made on my Gypsy. I used some gromlets that came with my Crop A Dial Big Bite as the goggle frames. They were the perfect shape and size. I then found some google eyes that fit inside them.
- cardstock- misc scraps
- stamps- Stampin' Up!, Studio G
- ink- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Spiced Marmalade), Memories Dye Ink (Black)
- Cricut cartridge- George and Basic Shapes
- tools- Stamp-a-ma-jig, EK Success (circle punch)
- embossing powder- Ranger (Superfine Clear)
- markers- Zig Writer (Pure Black, Pure Blue, Pure Yellow, Pure Violet)
- misc- vellum, quilling paper, google eyes, glue dots, gromlets (We R Memory Keepers)