Saturday, July 28, 2012

I'm Missing a Letter!

Have you ever started a layout only to find that you don't have enough sticker letters to complete your title?  Or that you can't find the perfect embellishment to go with your page?  This happens less frequently with me now that I have a Cricut but it still happens.   We all have those sticker letters in our stash that we want to use, but once you've used them a time or two it gets harder to form words.  Well, here is a great tip I saw in a magazine (I made this page a few years ago so I don't remember which magazine it was in) that solves the problem. 


Use the left over part of your sticker letters to create your title!  Just cut around them and you have a hollow letter. Of course this will only work if you are using letters that have a white or colored background.  This is so simple I just wish I would have thought of it.   


And what about those hard to find embellishments, especially your kids favorite cartoon characters?  While you can find some of these in stickers and even on Cricut cartridges, some are impossible to find.  So why not make your own?   To make this Bob the Builder character I looked online for a printable coloring page (you could also use a page from a coloring book).  


 I then printed the same character on ALL of the different pieces of cardstock. Then it's as simple as cutting and pasting. Start with the bottom layer (for this one I started with the body/peach cardstock) and leave that piece whole using the lines on that piece to keep adding each layer.  You can then use other items (brads, ribbon, etc) to add detail to your cutout.  When you are done you will have your very own custom embellishment! Although this takes a little time it is worth it.


And here is my finished layout.  Zach was so little and I'm really behind on my scrapbooking! 


I hope these tips help you get some stickers out of your stash and get some great custom embellishments on your pages.  Thanks for stopping and have fun scrappin'. 


Supplies:
  • cardstock: scraps
  • patterned paper: ?
  • alphabet stickers: NRN Designs
  • pen: Sakura Gelly Roll Stardust (Clear), black pen
  • misc supplies: screw brads, printable coloring page, black ink

1 comment: