Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tie-Dyed Birthday Card and Fall Leaves

It's been forever since I've had anything crafty on here!  I apologize.  I've gotten a few cards and pages done recently but just haven't had time to get photos and project lists up on the blog.  I'm really going to try to be better about that this year.  Also going forward this year I'm really trying to not buy too many new supplies.  {GASP!}  For those that really know me this will be a challenge.  I love to buy new tools and supplies.  Who doesn't?!  But I have a whole room FULL of wonderful products that I need to use.  What that means on the blog is lots of creativity (I hope) for using what I have at home.  I'm hoping to inspire myself (and you) to look at your supplies in a new light.  I'm also hoping that I can give you some tips to not waste what supplies you are using.  So with all that being said here is a fun little card I made for a neighbor's birthday and an additional project.


I've been dying to use my Tim Holtz ink using this technique and finally tried it.  I love it!!  You just smear a little ink directly from the pad down on a craft mat (use as many colors as you want and try to leave a little space between the colors).  Here I used  Barn Door, Wild Honey, and Spiced Marmalade.  After your colors are on the craft mat spritz the mat with water from a small squirt bottle.  This will cause the colors to bubble up because the Distress Inks react with water.  Now take your paper and lay it on the ink moving your paper to make sure that all parts of the paper are colored.  You can pick it up and dab over parts that need more color if you want to.  Let it dry and when you are done you have a tie-dyed look on your paper!  (Sorry that I don't have step by step pictures of this technique.  Maybe next time).


Even though I'm trying not to buy new supplies doesn't mean that I won't be using new things.  I'm lucky to have someone close to me who is cleaning out her craft room to fill mine!  This means lots of new stamps and other items are coming my way.  So since I was trying a new technique I also wanted to use a new stamp.  This fun birthday background stamp was perfect for what I had in mind.  I stamped it on black cardstock using Versamark ink and then embossed it with clear embossing powder.  What a fun effect!!  I know that I'll be doing this more this year.  After rounding the corners I then punched a circle out to stamp my sentiment in.  Some faux stitching with a white gel pen and the card was complete.  Super simple and super fun!

Onto the other project I made.  I want to make sure that I am using all of my supplies, including the ink that is leftover on the craft mat.  Why waste that ink when it can be used to create more things!  I picked these colors of ink specifically because I had this project in mind.  I got out some scraps of white cardstock and did the same technique that I did above until I had used up all of the remaining ink.  I then got out my Gypsy and Cricut and went to work cutting out some fall leaves!  If you don't have a Cricut take a look through your punches to see what you could make.   


After all the leaves were cut I used some more Distress Ink on the edges and a brown marker on the 'veins' to give them an even better fall look.  I love how they turned out and can't wait to use them on a layout or card!  I'm so glad I didn't waste that ink!
 

The next time you get out your ink plan ahead and think of what else you could make with your leftover ink.  This same idea could be used with purples and pinks to create hearts, yellows and greens to make spring leaves, or even browns to create feathers.  See what you can come up with.  Hope to see you back for Photo Friday and thanks for stopping! 

Card Supplies:
  • cardstock: misc scraps
  • ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Barn Door, Wild Honey, Spiced Marmalade), Versamark (Watermark)
  • embossing powder: Ranger (clear)
  • stamps: Close to My Heart (Seasonal Celebration), Hampton Art Stamps (Multi Birthday)
  • tools: EK Success (1 1/4" circle punch), We R Memory Keepers (Corner Chomper 3/8")
  • gel pen: Uniball (Signo Broad)
Leave Supplies:
  • cardstock: misc scraps
  • ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Barn Door, Wild Honey, Spiced Marmalade, Walnut Stain, Frayed Burlap)
  • Cricut Cartridges: Gypsy Wanderings, Cricut Classic Font, Stretch Your Imagination, Create a Critter
  • marker: Zig Writer (Chocolate) 

No comments:

Post a Comment