Thursday, November 13, 2014

Frozen Inspired Birthday Card

It has been way too long since I've shared a card idea with you.  Now that the weather has turned colder and it has snowed I think that this card is really appropriate.  My niece turned 5 on Sunday and she loves the movie Frozen.  What little girl doesn't?!  I thought I would use purples and blues, snowflakes, and some sparkle to make my Frozen themed card.  Here's what I came up with.
I just love how this card turned out!  I didn't take any step by step pictures (sorry) but here is what I did to create this card.

I started with a piece of white cardstock cut slightly smaller than my card base and inked it using Milled Lavender, Dusty Concord, Tumbled Glass, and Broken China Distress Inks.  I kept blending until I got the look I was going for.  I then embossed the cardstock using my Snowflakes embossing folder.  Next, I applied VersaMark ink to the raised area of this cardstock and applied Holographic embossing powder and heat set it.  I love the texture and sparkle of this background!
I then worked on my sentiment/image area of the card.  I recently got the Cupcakes and More stamp set from Fiskars and wanted to try it on this card.  I stamped the cupcake wrapper with Memento Tuxedo Black ink and then used my Spectrum Noir markers (LV1 and LV2) to color it in.  These markers are also new to me and I only have one set of purple.  I am still seeing if I am successful at using them before I get more.  This was an OK start.  I then stamped the frosting with Broken China Distress Ink.  I used my Heat and Stick Powder to make the frosting sticky and then covered it in glitter.  I don't think you can ever have enough sparkle!  I fussy cut both of these out and attached them to a block of white cardstock.  I added 5 candles which are also in the stamp set (before I added the frosting) and stamped the sentiment above and below the cupcake.  A little ink around the edges with some more Holographic Embossing Powder and this was ready to put on the card.  I used two pieces of sheer ribbon to anchor the block to the card.  The ribbon also looks like a ribbon on a present adding to the overall feel of the card.   
So there you have it.  By using a few things from the movie as inspiration (color, snowflakes, and sparkle) I was able to create a fun themed card.  So the next time you need to make a card look no further than the child's favorite movie to give you inspiration.  Thanks for stopping!


Supplies:
  • ink- Tim Holtz Distress (Milled Lavender, Dusty Concord, Tumbled Glass, Broken China), Memento (Tuxedo Black, Potter's Clay, Lulu Lavender), Versamark
  • stamp- Fiskars (Cupcakes and More)
  • embossing powder- Ranger (Holographic), Stampin' Up! (Heat and Stick Powder)
  • Spectrum Noir markers- LV1, LV2
  • misc- dimensional adhesive, ribbon, Recollections (Frost glitter), Cuttlebug (Snowflakes embossing folder)

No comments:

Post a Comment