Friday, March 9, 2012

Glitter!!


I know that at the sight of the word glitter you will do one of two things: 1) Get super excited and keep reading because you love glitter too or 2) want to stop reading right now because glitter is messy and you don't want to even think about using it.  I'll admit I used to be one of the latter.  Why would I use glitter?  I have boys, they don't like things to sparkle and plus it gets everywhere and makes a huge mess, doesn't it?  Well, I'm here to tell you that glitter doesn't have to be messy and you can even use it on those boys pages and cards. 

When you go to your craft store you'll notice that there are a lot of types, brands, and colors of glitter.  I use the Doodlebug Glitter Sugar Coating (shown above) and also the Reflections Extra Fine Glitter Set (available at Michaels).  Both of these are a fine glitter but there are chunkier ones available if you like that look.  Find colors that appeal to you or that you use often.  I like these brands because they come in a set and I can get many colors for a great price.

Now that you have your glitter what do you do with it?  I have found that there are a few tricks to make using glitter easier and less messy.  The best tip (and what got me using glitter) was one I saw on the Home Shopping Network.  I don't remember who it was but they were demonstrating the Xyron 150 and showed how to use it to add glitter to your project.  Usually when you use your Xyron you are making a sticker and insert your item with the bottom down so that the top isn't sticky.  If you want to add glitter to the top of your letters or die cuts you need to do just the opposite.  Insert your item top side down.  This puts the adhesive on the top, you can coat it it glitter, and now you have a glittered die cut!  So simple and I can't believe I didn't think of it!



Another way to add glitter to your project is with liquid glue.  You can use a brush to put glue on brad tops, dip them in glitter, stick them in a packing peanut pointy side down to dry, and then you have a glitter covered brad!  This would also work for buttons as well.  There are also glue pens for adding detail lines to a patterned paper or die cut with your glitter. 



A couple of other tips before I go.  I've found that when using die cuts (Cricut or other) it helps to cut them out of the same color of paper as the glitter you will be using.  It helps to make the glitter show up better.  I also just use a scrap piece of 12 x 12 paper to set my item on when adding the glitter and then I can just crease the paper and dump the glitter back in my bottle.  All of these tips can also be applied to flocking as well. 

I hope that gets you excited to try using glitter on your next project!! Thanks for stopping. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love your pics! The glitter on your layouts turned out FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete