Saturday, March 31, 2012

Seeing Stars

Between the birth of my new nephew (hopefully I'll be getting some newborn shots this weekend), a sick kiddo, a scrapbooking weekend, and the beautiful weather I just haven't had time to get anything ready to put on here.  I finally found some time today to get a little something done.  I'm going to try to get a few more things up later this week so stay tuned.   

Today I'm sharing with you a card that I made for my new nephew.  (Hopefully his mom won't see this post until she gets the real thing.)  As I've said before I love to use scraps.  On this card I'm going to show you how a few pieces of leftover paper and ribbon can turn into a beautiful card.  So grab some supplies and follow me. 

Here are some items that I had leftover from a book I made for my nephew.  When I make a big project for a gift I love to use the leftovers to make a card.  Not only are the items right at hand but they all coordinate and it makes the whole gift look complete. 


The main focus of my card are the large stars from the patterned paper.  To create the star elements for my card all I did was cut them out!  I used a sparkle pen to add some detail (you can't see it in these pics, sorry) and used pop dots on the middle star for some added interest.  The middle star is actually two stars with only the small star cut from the top one.  I used an exacto knife to do this and saved the rest of the star for another project.  It's so fun to turn a flat piece of paper into a great embellishment.  Think bling when you do this too (glitter, brads, i-rock, etc).  Any of those will make your embellishment even cuter!   


I thought my card was still looking a little plain so I added this star stamp to my ribbon.  It added just the right touch of balance to that large ribbon.  Just be careful when stamping on ribbon because sometimes the ink can bleed and make your image appear smudgy.   






Here is the finished card. I thought it turned out pretty cute!  The 'Congratulations' is embossed so it popped a little more against the dark background. 


I hope you enjoyed my fun card today.  Just remember that you don't always have to buy expensive embellishments.  Make your own using some patterned paper, a sparkle pen, and some pop dots.  You will have unique and inexpensive embellishments that really make your cards stand out.  Thanks for stopping by. 

Supplies:
  • patterned paper: My Minds Eye (Twinkle Twinkle Little Boy)
  • stamps: My Sentiments Exactly (Baby Sentiments), Close to My Heart (Circle Around)
  • ink: Close to My Heart (Cocoa, White Daisy)
  • pen: Sakura Gelly Roll Stardust (Clear)
  • other: ribbon, embossing powder (clear), pop dots, adhesive
  

No comments:

Post a Comment