Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Full Steam Ahead Layout

School has started and I'm trying to get adjusted to a few hours a week with no kids in the house!  If you have been a stay at home mom you know what I mean by adjusting.  I know that soon I will have a new 'schedule' that will involve cleaning, laundry, and volunteering at school.  I'm also going to take some time to really get cranking on my boys scrapbooks!  I'm so far behind it's not even funny (in scrapbook land it's 2006)!  In addition to getting more layouts and cards done I'm hoping to get back into getting more stuff up here on my blog.  Here is a layout that I photographed a long time ago and just never got around to posting.  Super simple and a great way to use some of that specialty paper and supplies that we all have. 

If your kids are anything like mine they have gone through phases with loving different toys or brands (think Thomas the Train, Hello Kitty, Lego, etc).  If you are anything like me you've bought up that brand/logo paper and supplies for those pictures you've taken or will take of them using those toys.  If you are also anything like me you don't have layouts and layouts to use these supplies on.  If you are lucky maybe you have one or two layouts, at most, to use a lot of patterned paper, stickers, rubons, and whatever other supplies you may have purchased on.  So pull out those papers and make a page of your child playing with that favorite toy and make sure you use up those supplies!

For this layout I tried to use as many patterns and rubons as I could to just use up some of those supplies.  I love using large pieces of patterned paper on both sides of a layout and rounding the corners.  It really helps tie the whole page together.    

Another great way to use up some of that patterned paper is to cut out  photo sized pieces and use them as photos mats by overlapping them and using them in the opposite orientation of your focal photo.  This also adds a little interest to your page and gets your eyes looking right where you want them.  Don't forget to look at that patterned paper for a possible title as well.  I had a whole sheet of phrases that would work great as a title.  I picked my favorite, cut it out, put it on dimensional adhesive, and had a great title that fit right with everything else on the page. 
I have tons of rubons for this Thomas paper and never use them!  I was determined to get a few on this layout.  One fun way I used them was right on a photo!  This is a great way to add some flair and cover a portion of a photo that might not be very exciting.  I also added some rubon trains and some more phrases around the layout to add more interest (and use up those supplies). 
I love lines on my paper, especially when I'm adding elements all in a row.  These rubons were the perfect addition to this page. 
I had these two journaling blocks and by tucking them under the patterned paper and the photo I filled up an empty space wisely.  I always love to have journaling on my page somewhere.  I might remember the details but I want to share those memories with my children and hopefully their children someday.  I won't be here forever but these books could be.  How fun would it be to look back on your grandparents photos of them playing with their favorite toys and have a story that went along with them!  That's why we do this, right?!  So future generations can have a peek into our lives.
I hope you enjoyed this simple layout and it gives you some ideas on how to use those kid themed supplies that are taking up precious room in your scrap room.  Thanks for stopping!

 Supplies:
  • cardstock- misc
  • patterned paper- Sandylion Sticker Designs (Thomas & Friends)
  • rubons- Sandylion Sticker Designs (Thomas & Friends)
  • ink- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Fired Brick, Black Soot)
  • tools- We R Memory Keepers (Corner Chomper 3/8")
  • pen- American Crafts (Project Life Journaling Pen black 01)
  • misc- pop dots, journaling card

No comments:

Post a Comment