Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Wine Birthday Card

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile.   I had my niece and nephew here all last week so needless to say with 6 kids in the house the blog got a little overlooked.  That also didn't leave me much time to create.  Luckily I have a card that I haven't yet shared and it fits with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Get Krafty.  Here's my card for today. 
I just love how this card turned out!  One of the fun things about it is that besides the water color paper I used for my image all of the other paper is kraft!!  I used a few techniques to change how the kraft paper looks so let me show you what I did.

I absolutely LOVE the Tim Holtz Bricked embossing folder.  Doesn't it work great with a wine themed card?!  After embossing the cardstock I used Fired Brick and Aged Mahogany Distress Inks to cover the raised areas.  While the ink was still wet I covered the whole piece with clear embossing powder.  This gives this border some awesome shine and texture.
To create the image for this card I first created some masks.  One for the wine glass and one for the bottle of wine.  I then stamped one wine glass and covered it with the mask.  Then I was able to stamp the other wine glass and the bottle of wine.  I then removed the mask and was left with this great clustered image!  I love the depth that using a mask gives.  So fun!  Using Distress Inks I smudged ink onto my stamp block and using a water brush I 'painted' my image.  I love coloring images this way.  I then stamped over the image with a texture stamp using Embossing Ink and covered the image with clear embossing powder.  This gives a little shine to parts of the image.  (Sorry you can't really see it in these photos.)  I then cut out the image with my scissors.  Not an easy task but well worth it.  After cutting out the image I used a marker to go over all the edges so no watercolor paper was showing.  This really finished off my image.  
This stamp set included some great phrases in addition to the wine glass and bottle.  I loved this sentiment and thought it was perfect for this birthday card. I stamped it using Distress Ink and then covered with clear embossing powder to get that shine.  Inking the edges with Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain add some great shading. 
I placed my stamped image on a circle of kraft cardstock and shaded it the same way I did the sentiment block.  I just love how different the kraft cardstock looks with a little bit of ink. 
Here you can see a little of that shine over my stamped image from the texture stamp. 
And one more photo of that great brick embossed border.  Embossing + Distress Ink + clear embossing powder = one of my favorite combinations! 
I hope you enjoyed this krafty card and it gets you thinking of using your kraft cardstock in new ways.  Thanks for stopping!

Supplies:
  • cardstock- kraft, watercolor paper
  • stamps- Fiskars (Aged to Perfection), Paper Inspirations (Ripple Stone Background)
  • ink- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Fired Brick, Aged Mahogany, Crushed Olive, Forest Moss, Old Paper, Antique Linen, Brushed Corduroy, Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain, Pumice Stone, Embossing Ink), Close to My Heart (Cocoa), Tsukineko Momento (London Fog)
  • embossing folder- Tim Holtz Alterations (Bricked)
  • tools- Creative Memories (circle cutter), water brush, Fiskars (Stamp Press)
  • embossing powder- Ranger (Super Fine Clear)
  • adhesive- Scotch (Quick-Dry Adhesive), dimensional adhesive
  • pen- Zig Writer (Chocolate)
  • misc- masking paper


  

No comments:

Post a Comment