Friday, March 7, 2014

One Tired Dude Layout

Sorry it's been awhile again since I've posted.  Life just doesn't seem to slow down.  I created this fun layout and then realized it fit along with the Playing in Paradise Challenge!  The challenge was to use five things from Linda's favorite list.  I used brads, buttons, stickers, diecuts, and eyelets!  Lots of fun stuff to play with so let me show you what I did!
I just adore these pictures of my son asleep.  There is something so precious about them when they are sleeping.  I bought the Swagger collection by Fancy Pants Designs over the summer and this layout just screamed for me to use it.  I love all of the patterns in the collection so rather than just choose one I chose to use a few and made a hexagon border.  I really wanted to go out and buy a set of hexagon nesting dies but in trying to stay with my resolution of using what I have I found a stencil, traced them, and cut them out by hand.  This took a little time but I feel good about not running to the store to get something I didn't really 'need.'  The polka dot pattern isn't from the Swagger collection but is washi tape!  I covered a piece of scrap white cardstock with the washi tape and then cut out the hexagons from it.  I then inked the edges of all the hexagons with some Studio G pigment ink.  I love this grey ink!  It's the perfect grey ink to use with this collection.   
Once I got the hexagon border on my page the rest was simple.  I matted the photos and also inked those edges.  I used a 4x6 card from the collection, cut it, and used it for my title and journaling!  I just love killing two birds with one stone.  I added some letter stickers to one part to finish my title.  
I stamped a journaling spot with a stamp from the Teresa Collins He Said She Said collection on the other part of the card.  It is very subtle with the grey ink but I think it works great for the page.
Clusters of a brad, button, and eyelet add some fun dimension and help create a visual triangle on my page.  I tend to hoard these so I'm really trying to get them out of my stash and onto my pages.  I also added a sticker to add to the feel of the page.   
A little scoring on my Martha Stewart score board with a little sanding in opposite corners adds some texture and finishes off my page.
I hope you enjoyed this fun and easy to put together page.  Thanks for stopping! 


Edited to Add-  So after I posted this post today I came across the Happy for Hexagons Challenge in the Moxie Fab World.  The challenge- use hexagons on your project!  Of course I have to enter this over there too.  I just love hexagons!  Have a great day!

Supplies:
  • cardstock- Core'dinations (Nostalgia)
  • patterned paper- Fancy Pants Designs (Swagger)
  • stamp- Teresa Collins (He Said She Said)
  • ink- Studio G
  • tools- Perfect Layers, We R Memory Keepers (Crop-o-Dile Big Bite). Core'dinatinos (Sand it Gadget and Dust Buddy), Memory Shoppe stencil, Martha Stewart (score board)
  • adhesive- Therm-o-Web (Zots), Scotch (ATG)
  • pen- American Crafts (Project Life pen 03 Black)
  • misc- brads, buttons, We R Memory Keepers (Grey Eyelets wide), Doodlebug Designs, Inc (Washi tape Grey Swiss Dots)

   


2 comments:

  1. LOVE your layout Jenny! That hexagon border is BEYOND wonderful! Your little son is just adorable and the title is so fitting. The scoring and sanding is a great touch... frames everything perfectly! Thank you so much for Playing in Paradise with us this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son is so cute and precious! A beautiful LO, I love the hexagon border featuring all the different coordinating papers and the scoring and sanding creates a really neat frame. Thanks so much for Playing in Paradise with us!

    ReplyDelete