Today I'm excited to share the card I made as a guest designer over at the Playing in Paradise Challenge. They have great challenges and great prizes! This challenge is no different. Here it is: Use a black & white, sepia photo or stamp image with a splash of color.
I'll admit when I first saw this challenge I had no idea what I was going to create. Then I remembered I had a Tim Holtz stamp that would be perfect for this and my card idea sprang from there. Here is what I came up with.
I loved this image and phrase and thought they would make a great card. I wanted to have a little fun with the splash of color so I turned to my favorite Tim Holtz Distress Inks. I wanted the 'rain' to look like colors and the man to be standing in a 'puddle'. I think it worked! I smeared a small line of each color of Distress Ink on my craft mat and then gave it a little spritz of water. I did this a few times on different watercolor papers because if you add too much water the colors will be very pale and I wanted them to be vibrant. After spritzing the ink with water I placed the bottom half of my watercolor paper in the ink and let it dry. I really wanted a rainbow effect so I tried not to let the colors blend too much. Once this was dry I stamped my image and phrase right over the color. Using the Compact Stamp Press makes it really simple to see exactly where you want to place your image. I really love how the man is 'standing' in this colorful puddle.
- inks- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Barn Door, Spiced Marmalade, Mustard Seed, Mowed Lawn, Tumbled Glass, Dusty Concord, Black Soot), VersaMark (Watermark)
- stamps-Tim Holtz (Purely Random), Close to My Heart (Jingle Borders D1225)
- embossing powder- Ranger (Super Fine Clear)
- tools- Fiskars (Compact Stamp Press), Imaginisce (i-Rock)
- misc- Imaginisce (gems), watercolor paper, masking paper