Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Wednesday Weekly- Stick with a Simple Color Scheme

Sorry I missed last week. We were enjoying a family vacation. It's always nice to get away, relax, enjoy time with family, and make memories. I'm hoping to have some photos from our vacation up for Photo Friday so be sure to check back later this week.

Today I have another PL layout to share. One thing I love about these PL layouts is that all the cards from kits coordinate so well together. Some times though I don't want to have tons of colors on my layout. Today's shows just that. I stuck with two basic colors, blue and yellow.  I used only cards with those colors and that made it very easy to put this page together.  Just because you are using only two or three colors doesn't mean that your page will be boring. You can also use various shades of those colors so your color palette is actually broader than you think. Here I've used three or four shades of blues and a couple of yellows which keeps the page from getting boring. 

         

Using black and white as your neutral colors really adds pop to the page. Here I used a stamp with black ink and white letters for that added pop. Layers are also another way to add some interest. 

        

I use my iPhone for documenting these everyday photos more often than my DSLR. That means I have a lot of vertical photos and I usually need some 4x6 filler cards. I decided to make my own for this layout. The yellow base card is actually the back from a card on the previous page. Adding a washi tape border, a stamp ombré style, and a couple of cards make this filler card fun. The 'simple & real' card was a 3x4 card that I cut to fit on the triangle 3x4 card. You know that I don't like to throw away so the piece I cut from that card is where the 'swimming' letters are on the above photo. 

        

Here are each page by themselves. 

                       

Don't be afraid to use non PL items on your pages too. All of the Star Wars items are papers and stickers I had in my stash. They happened to be in the colors I needed and worked great on this layout.  And that large Star Wars title, that's from a shirt tag. Yes, I keep those too. ;) They make great embellishments.  I used a foldable journaling card to add more journaling of our family date night. Adding the pull tab allows you to pull it out and read more. 

                       

I hope you've enjoyed this simple color scheme. The next time you are working on a layout and are stuck or want to try something simple I hope you'll give this a try. Thanks for stopping!

Supplies:
  • Project Life- Jade Core Kit and textured cards, Studio Calico PL Office Hours Kit (back of card), journaling pen 03-black, Design A page protector
  • stamps- Heidi Swapp, Basic Grey (Hello)
  • ink- Memento (Tuxedo Black)
  • alphas- Making Memories (Handwriting Sunsoaked), Lily Bee Design
  • patterned paper- Creative Imaginations (Star Wars)
  • cardstock- The Paper Studio
  • misc- Recollections (washi tape), vellum, Tim Holtz (Tiny Attacher)  

No comments:

Post a Comment