Thursday, December 18, 2014

Thank You Shaker Card

Shaker cards are everywhere right now!  With all of the awesome sequins, seed beads, and glitters out there no wonder they are so popular.  I think my stash of these items needs to grow a little bit!  I've made shaker elements for scrapbook pages but never on a card so I thought I'd give it a try.  Here is my Thank You Shaker Card.

I started by picking a sheet of patterned paper to get a color theme going.  I cut it to the size of the card front and then cut another panel from the middle of this paper to be the popped up part of my shaker.  I knew I would be backing this piece with white cardstock so after cutting a circle from the front panel I traced it onto the piece of white cardstock that will be the back of the shaker.
I then started stamping my sentiment.  I started with the black text to be the main thank you and then stamped around it using ink colors that complimented my patterned paper.  I found that using a second generation stamp (inking your stamp, stamping it once on a scratch piece of paper, then stamping on your project) worked much better to match my color scheme.  Once I filled in the whole circle with my thank yous I erased the pencil line.
I then covered the back of the patterned paper circle with a sheet of transparency cut to size.
Next you need to make an area for your shaker pieces to move around in.  I used foam adhesive cut to size to go all around the circle.  I doubled my foam adhesive so there would be plenty of room for my sequins to move around.  How tall you make this depends on the thickness of your foam adhesive and the items you are putting in your shaker.
Now for the fun part.  Put your sequins, seed beads, or glitter into this area.  I used 5 or 6 different colors of sequins that complemented the colors in my patterned paper.  Once you have your shaker items in remove your adhesive backing and carefully place the back on your shaker piece.   
Once it is adhered you have your shaker piece!  Isn't that fun?!  I just love it!!  You can then adhere this piece to your card base and your card is done. 
If you want to see more great shaker cards here are some of my favorite card makers and their shaker cards.  I hope they inspire you as much as they inspire me.  Thanks for stopping!  
  • Nichol Magouirk  has some AMAZING shaker cards!  There were just too many lovely ones to list just one so this should link to all of her fun shaker cards.   
  • Jennifer McGuire has some great tips on making shaker cards.  I can't wait to try some of these tips out on my next card.  
  • Laura Bassen always has fun colorful cards and her shaker cards are just that.  Fun and colorful.  
  • Kristina Werner has a great Christmas shaker card.  I just love her cards!  

Supplies:
  • ink- Tim Holtz Distress (Wild Honey, Worn Lipstick, Mowed Lawn, Dusty Concord), Close to My Heart (Spangled Blue), Memento (Tuxedo Black)
  • stamp- Hero Arts (CL342)
  • patterned paper- Die Cuts with a View (Everyday Stack)
  • tools- Perfect Layers, Creative Memories (Circle Cutter)
  • misc- foam adhesive, transparency sheet 

No comments:

Post a Comment