Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Curious George Birthday Card

I have a super easy card for you today using a technique that I have been wanting to try for awhile.  Watercolor painting using my Distress Inks.  Let me show you how I did it!

I started out by printing an image from the Internet onto watercolor paper.  Printable coloring images are a great way to get cartoon characters and other popular images onto your cards and other projects.  I showed another way to use these images here.  You really have many options when it comes to printable coloring pages.  Once I printed my image I chose three colors of ink to work with and pushed them onto the corner of a stamping block.  Using a water brush I lifted color from the block and 'painted' my image. 

Here is a closeup of my painted George.  My image quality wasn't the best but for this card it worked and still turned out very cute.   
I really wanted the balloon to stand out so I added some Glossy Accents on it to give it a little dimension.  I also inked around the outside of my image where the border printed.  Not only did this add an extra layer of color it really helped the image pop off the card.  
What better paper to pair with a monkey than banana paper!  I just happened to have this banana paper that worked great with this card.  Using the banana paper as the main background my image just needed a solid color border to help it stand out. 
A fun polka dot banner is a great place for my sentiment.  I used some Diamond Stickles to color in the red and brown polka dots to add a little interest.  A little ink around the edges too also adds a little touch. 
Here is the finished card.  Thanks for stopping!

Supplies:
  • cardstock- misc scraps
  • patterned paper- Daisy D's (Bambino)
  • inks- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Barn Door, Antique Linen, Vintage Photo)
  • stamp- Stampin' Up!
  • pens- Zig Writer (Chocolate), Creative Memories (Fine-Tip Red)
  • tools- Perfect Layers, Fiskars (Block Party 1 1/2" punch), Artist's Loft (Watercolor Pad), Ranger (Glossy Accents, Diamond Stickles), waterbrush
  • image- printed from internet

No comments:

Post a Comment