Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Fairy Tale Wedding Card

A friend asked me this week if I had any wedding cards on hand.  I actually don't have a large stash of premade cards because I tend to make cards as I need them (so I can customize them to fit with the theme of the wedding, birthday, thank-you, etc).  She needed a card for a fairy tale themed wedding (think Disney) and if I had time could I make her a card?  Of course I could!  I immediately thought castle and knew that I had a castle image on a Cricut cartridge.  It was a sandcastle though.  Would it work?  I knew I needed to glam it up so I went with tone on tone white.  What could be more elegant than that?  I have never done an all white card before but I think it turned out pretty awesome!
I needed to play with patterns and textures because everything was white!  That meant layers, stamps, embossing, and dimensional adhesive.  The base of the card is 5 1/4" x 10 1/2" folded in half to make a 5 1/4" square card.  I then cut different sized squares and treated them all a different way.  It's hard to see in these photos (I took these pics really quick on my iPhone) but the layer that the castle is on and the layer behind the castle both have been stamped and heat embossed with different background stamps.  I also used an embossing folder on one layer and the same cardstock as the card base on another.  This gave me a wide variety of textures to set each layer apart from the next.  
One of the major challenges on this card was adding the sentiment.  I needed it to look very classy but still be seen.  A gorgeous script stamp, vellum, and white embossing powder did the trick!  I have been meaning to try embossing on vellum and just haven't had the right project.  It was perfect for this!  I just love how the sentiment can be seen but it still blends in with the card.   
After I heat embossed one of my layers of paper I noticed I had a little smudge on it.  Rather than start all over I just used these Glitter Dome Stickers to cover my 'mistake.'   They add some elegance and cover a little blemish. 
We can't forget the castle!  I covered it in white glitter, used some dimensional adhesive to set it apart from the base, and it looks fabulous!  I've used this same castle on this layout and I love how completely different they look!!  It just goes to show that with a little creativity you can alter anything to fit with your project. 
I hope you enjoyed this wedding card and that you will try a tone on tone card.  It really is a fun way to create a card.  Thanks for stopping!

Supplies:
  • cardstock- Bazzill Basics Paper (Diamond), scraps
  • Cricut cartridge- Create a Critter
  • ink- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Embossing Ink)
  • stamps- Anna Griffin (Modern Graphic Stamps, background stamp), Close to My Heart (Romantic Backgrounds D1066)
  • embossing powder- American Crafts (Zing! White), Ranger (Superfine Clear)
  • embossing folder- Cuttlebug (Polka Dots)
  • misc- American Crafts (ribbon), Doodlebug Design Inc. (glitter), Mark Richards (Glitter Dome Stickers), dimensional adhesive, vellum

No comments:

Post a Comment