Thursday, January 16, 2014

Deepest Sympathy Card

I was hoping to get another plaid card up on here today for you but you'll have to wait until next week.  We are changing how we store our photos and I have to wait until it's done to have access to any new photos.  Luckily I have some cards that I made for someone for a Christmas present that I haven't shared yet.  Here is one of those cards.
I was inspired by this card on Pinterest when I made this card.  I loved the colors (browns and whites) and also the flower stamped over the text.  To create my flower area I first masked off a rectangle using masking paper.  (Sorry I only have finished card photos.  I wasn't sure if I would like the final result and I was on a deadline.)  Once I masked off the area I used my Distress Ink in Antique Linen to shade it in.  I left the center a little more white to help the flower stand out.  Then I stamped the grid design using Frayed Burlap.  I love how it gives a little interest to this area without being over powering.  I also shaded the corners a bit with this color as well.  Once I was happy with my shading and the ink was dry I removed the mask and stamped the flower in Walnut Stain Distress Ink and then applied clear embossing power over the image and heat set it.  I just love the way it looks!
I also stamped the sentiment and edges with the Walnut Stain ink, applied clear embossing powder, and heat set these as well.  Adding three gems gives a little sparkle and helps balance the card.  I mounted the white cardstock on some kraft cardstock (after applying my ribbon) and then applied it to my card base. 
I love how easy this card was to put together and the visual impact it has.  So simple yet so dramatic.  You could do these same techniques with a balloon for a birthday card or a bee/butterfly with a flight tail.  Really any long image would look great.  I'd love to hear what other ideas you have for this type of card.  Thanks for stopping!

Supplies:
  • cardstock- kraft, misc
  • stamps- Close to My Heart (Treasure Life D1306), Hero Arts (CL 342), Glitz Designs (Distressing D2343)
  • ink- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Walnut Stain)
  • embossing powder- Ranger (Super Fine Clear)
  • misc- dimensional adhesive, gems, American Crafts (ribbon), masking paper

No comments:

Post a Comment