Thursday, March 7, 2013

Paper Saving Technique

I was hoping to get this page up in February but that just didn't happen.  I shared this layout on my Facebook Page in January and today I'm going to show you how I used my favorite paper saving technique on it.  I shared this technique back in April but since there are some new people following my blog I thought I'd share it again.   

I only had one sheet of this blue paper and wanted to use it as a photo mat and as the background page of my layout.  To use this paper for both of those purposes I first had to figure out where my three photos were going to go.  Once I did that I adhered them to the paper (left image) and cut out the photo mat using my Perfect Layers ruler (you could also just use your paper trimmer for this).  Be careful not to cut all the way to the edge as you still need this blue paper to build your page on.  Once you cut out your matted photos you will have a hole in your cardstock (right image).    
When using this technique you will need to cover up the hole you made.  You can do this by covering it with other paper or matting those same photos again using another color of cardstock and then covering the hole.  That is exactly what I did here.  I matted the same photos with a white color of cardstock (left image).  I then put my double matted photos over the hole (right image) and now you can't even tell that I put a hole in this paper!  So simple and a great way to conserve those supplies.
Here is my finished layout!  I love that I only had to use one sheet of the blue paper.  I also saved paper on my other patterned paper pieces.  It looks as if the patterned paper goes all the way under my photos when in fact I just cut a little piece off to tuck under the left side of my matted photos!  I also did the same thing with the polka dot circle piece of paper.  Now I have some of this paper left to use on other projects!! 
I inked all the edges of the patterned paper for a more finished look and added a little twine on my journaling spot for a little extra fun.  I also put my journaling spot on pop dots for some dimension. 
For some more fun I put my title along the curved edge of the patterned paper.  This gives just a little interest to my title and is also a great way to ground it to the layout. 
I hope you enjoyed this layout and paper saving technique.  Come back next week where I will use this same technique to mat 9 photos with one piece of 12x12 paper!!  Yes, you read that right, 9 photos!!  I'll see you tomorrow for Photo Friday thanks for stopping!

Supplies:
  • patterned paper: The Paper Loft (Morning Rain Collection)
  • ink: Quick Quotes (Powder Puff Chalking Ink- Blue Moon)
  • pen: Creative Memories (Fine-Tip Black)
  • alphabet stickers: The Paper Loft (Morning Rain Collection)
  • tools: We R Memory Keepers (Corner Chomper 3/8"), Creative Memories (circle cutter), Perfect Layers
  • misc: Doodlebug Designs (Doodle Twine- Baby Boy Assortment), pop dots

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why I've never thought about saving paper like this. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete