Monday, March 25, 2013

Colorblocking with Scraps

Those of you that know me (and have scrapped with me) know that I hate to throw away paper!  I've even been known to take paper others are throwing out.  Why?  Well, it costs a lot and I might as well use what I buy.  More importantly though, even a little scrap of paper can make a great layout.  That is where today's layout comes from.  Scraps.  Creating a colorblocked layout with scraps is super easy and a great way to use up your scrap stash. 

All of my patterned paper pieces on this layout were leftovers from other projects!  This paper all happens to be from a paper stack.  When I have a scrap of paper left from a stack I just put it back in the stack by the other sheets of that pattern.  That way if I need to use a little piece I know where it is and I don't have to cut into another full sheet of paper!  This also makes it easy to see what scraps I have to use on layouts like this.   


To assemble this page I first cropped my photos and placed them on a coordinating sheet of cardstock.  Once I knew where I wanted my photos to go I got out my scraps, ruler, and paper trimmer.  It's as easy as measuring, cutting, and attaching the scraps to your page to fill in the empty spaces!  So simple!  I used the same paper at the top and bottom and rounded the edges to give a little unity to the page.  I also used a white gel pen to add some faux stitching and finish the layout. When creating a page like this I love to use striped paper for my journaling.     

Another fun thing about this layout is that all the products aren't from one company.  Don't be afraid to look through your stash for products from another company that coordinate with your project.  These chipboard letters were from the Target dollar spot and match this patterned paper perfectly!!  You have to love a happy accident!

I hope you enjoyed this super simple layout and easy way to use up those scraps.  So the next time you cut apart a piece of patterned paper before you throw the scraps out think about using them on a card or another layout.  Thanks for stopping!

Supplies:
  • cardstock- LaRayne Miller & Keeping Memories Alive, Inc. (Pear Yellow Flecks)
  • patterned paper- The Paper Studio (Little Boys and Their Toys)
  • pen- Uniball (Signo Broad White), Zig Writer (Chocolate)
  • tools- We R Memory Keepers (Corner Chomper 1/8")
  • misc- chipboard stickers (Target dollar spot)

No comments:

Post a Comment