Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Use a Corner Punch to Make a Border

Did you know that you can use a corner punch to create a border?  That's exactly what I did to create the bubble looking border on this page.   Let me show you how I did it!  

 Start off with a punch like this and remove the plastic around the base.  It should just pull off.  Be careful not to break the plastic though if you want to use the punch again as a corner punch. 


Now your punch will look like this.  If this punch looks familiar it's because I used it on this card last month.  I thought it looked like bubbles and would be the perfect addition to my page. 
Insert your paper and make your first punch.  It is easiest to hold your punch upside down so you can see where you are punching.  Be sure to line up the ends before you make your next punch.  Do a couple of test punches before you work with the cardstock you plan on using.  I found that if I punched too hard with this punch I would break the chain of bubbles. 

Once you have punched the length of your paper you will have something that looks like this border!  So fun and a great way to use supplies in a different way.  I love that!  It's not perfect but it adds just a little extra touch to my layout.  I also used another supply in a different way than it was intended.  The navy blue paper strip is a piece of quilling paper!!  It adds to the layout and I didn't have to cut it from a larger piece of paper! 
I cut my title out on my Cricut and adhered it to a giant vellum 'bubble' (the 'bubbles' were also cut out on my Cricut).  My font had circles in the open spaces to add to my 'bubble' theme. 
Putting my title 'bubble' on dimensional adhesive gives a little depth and really makes that 'bubble' 'pop' (no pun intended).  Just be sure to put the dimensional adhesive under the letters in your title so it doesn't show through the vellum.  
I used two different kinds of vellum and three different sized circles to make my 'bubbles'.  I love that they look transparent like real bubbles and the little shimmer adds to the effect.  I also traced around all of my 'bubbles' with a sparkle pen to define them just a little more.  Another fun thing about this layout is that one of my sons helped me choose my supplies!  I have a jar with different supplies written on strips of paper (stickers, chip board, ink, decorative scissors, etc) and when I'm stumped or just want a challenge I let one of the boys pick out 3-5 supplies for me to use on my layout.  For this layout he picked punches, glitter (sparkle pen), and eyelets!  I challenge you to try this the next time you need some inspiration.
I hope you enjoyed this punch technique and will give it a try on your next layout!  Don't be afraid to look at your supplies and use them in a different way.  Also write down your supplies on strips of paper and randomly pick 3-5.  This will really get you thinking of your supplies in new ways.  Thanks for stopping! 

Supplies:
  • cardstock- The Paper Studio (Textured Cardstock Brights), misc
  • patterned paper- ?
  • stamp- Autumn Leaves (Journaling)
  • ink- Tsukineko (StazOn-Jet Black)
  • tools- EK Success (corner punch), Perfect Layers, We R Memory Keepers (Crop-a-Dile)
  • adhesive- Scotch (Quick-Dry Adhesive, ATG), Tombo (Mono Adhesive Vellum), pop dots, Xyron
  • pen- Gelly Roll (Clear Star), Zig (Writer- Pure Black)
  • Cricut cartridge- Cuttin' Up, George and Basic Shapes
  • misc- vellum, quilling paper, We R Memory Keepers (wide eyelets- Buttercream)



1 comment: