Thursday, February 28, 2013

Double Baby Cards

Today I have two cards to share with you!  They are the same basic card only one uses a stamped image and the other uses a paper pieced image.  I know that not everyone is into stamps or has a die cutting machine so I hope that one or both of these cards fits into your style!

I am not a stamp coloring person normally but I had to use this Noah's Ark stamp for a relative who is having twin girls!  I love the symbolism of the two animals and how she is bringing two new little ones into this world.  I colored my image using watercolor pencils and a water brush. 
I am no expert at watercolor pencils or shading and blending but I gave it my best.  I started with the ark and added a line of color in each section and blended from there.  I kept adding colors until I was happy with my image.  I need to invest in some watercolor paper for next time because the paper can get pretty wet depending on how much blending you are doing.  
And here is my final result!  I think it turned out pretty good for one of my first attempts at watercolor blending.  One of the biggest challenges was only having 12 colors to use.  I was able to mix colors to get a darker brown for the bears and used more or less pressure on other colors to get different shades.  Now I know why there are so many Copic markers out there!
Here is a closeup of my colored image. I love the embossed pink background!  I only embossed the top portion of the pink paper so that I could stamp my sentiment on the bottom.  This also made it easier to attach the scalloped heart border and twine!
And here is the same card using an image cut from my Cricut!  All I did to change the card was replace the stamped image with this adorable owl. 
The polka dot patterned paper was a little too bold so I used some Tim Holtz Distress Ink to soften the color.  It worked perfectly!  I just love those lashes!  How fun!  A little Distress Ink around the edge of the white paper gives just a little definition. 
I hope you enjoyed seeing a little pink on the blog today!  Thanks for stopping and see you tomorrow for Photo Friday!

Supplies:
  • cardstock: misc
  • patterned paper: Die Cuts with a View (Nana's Nursery)
  • stamp: Art Impressions, My Sentiments Exactly (Baby Sentiments)
  • ink: Memories dye inkpad (black), Tim Holtz Distress (Spun Sugar, Vintage Photo), Close to My Heart (Cocoa)
  • Circut cartridge: Create a Critter
  • embossing folder: Cuttlebug (Polka Dots)
  • tools: American Crafts (Knock Outs punch-Scallop Heart), aqua brush
  • watercolor pencils: Faber-Castell
  • misc: pop dots, Xyron, Doodlebug Design (Doodle Twine-Baby Girl Assortment)

1 comment: