Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Use Distress Inks to...

alter your paper color!  Have you ever been working on a layout and not had the right shade of cardstock?  I know that I have numerous times.  One of three things happens when this occurs: 1) I go to the store and buy the paper that I need, 2) I make due with what I have even if it doesn't match perfectly, or 3) I change my whole layout to fit with a different shade of paper.  None of these options are bad but there is another choice.  You can alter a paper color with Distress Inks!  That is exactly what I did with the star border on this layout.

I really wanted a golden yellow color and had nothing like it at all.  So I grabbed a sheet of yellow cardstock, used my Cricut to cut out the border, left the cut image on the cutting mat, and started inking!  I started with Frayed Burlap and then added small bits of the other three colors until I got the color I was looking for.  You can really see the difference in the color to the part that isn't inked.  What a change!  After I was all done inking I then sprayed Bronze Glimmer Mist over this to give the whole border a bit of shimmer.      


Here is my completed layout.  I was following this sketch as a source of inspiration.  I just love how the border turned out!  I used the cut out stars on other parts of my page to help tie it all together.  Why make other embellishments when I already had these cut out!


 Here is a close up of the left page.  I also used Distress Ink to color the vellum for my journaling. 

 
Here is the right page.  The twine really makes a fun border between all of the pictures.   


To really make my border shine I added glitter on scrap paper behind a few stars and gems on others. 


My title was cut on my Cricut.  I just love how I can create any title and cut it out of paper that matches exactly what I want! 


 And one more of my border.  I just love it!  Pop dots also help to give this border a little more flare.
 

There you have it.  You can alter your paper color with Distress Inks!  I hope that the next time you find yourself looking for a shade of cardstock and you don't have it that you reach for your Distress Inks and alter some cardstock you already have.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can come up with.  Thanks for stopping!

Supplies:
  •  patterned paper: Carolee's Creations (Ho, Ho, Ho and Burnt Red)
  • cardstock: misc
  • Cricut cartridge: Christmas
  • ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Frayed Burlap, Walnut Stain, Forest Moss, Fired Brick)
  • bling: Imaginisce (Hot Rocks Compact- Jewel), Mark Richards Glittler Domes (white)
  • misc: Doodlebug Designs (Doodle Twine Christmas Assortment), pop dots, Scotch (vellum adhesive, Quick Dry adhesive), vellum, Recollections glitter (Snow), Glimmer Mist (Bronze)

No comments:

Post a Comment